Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lady of the Rings


When I left the comfort & warmth of my bed this morning, I did not expect to have such a remarkable day! Rick & I chatted as I “put my face on” & attempted to control the mop of limp, lazy & lean hair on my head in preparation for our weekly trip to the grocery store. We cheerfully discussed the noticeable changes that had occurred with my body & the positive benefits on my mental state and overall well-being that were taking place. As he left the room & headed for the garage, I started the search for the day’s jewelry. I opened the door to my jewel locker to select a ring, and happened to pick up two bands that I had not worn in 5 years, & thought I’d give it a shot. I held my hand out & was surprised to find that both rings slipped past the knuckle on my right ring finger with ease, nestling comfortably into proper position; I swear they looked right up at me & said “It’s about damn time!” I tilted my head to one side & let a slight giggle escape between my lips as I quickly slipped them on & off, over & over again. Then, I grabbed my wedding ring, placed it right where it belonged, and much to my surprise, the diamond slipped slowly towards my pinky finger & tried to hide beneath it. I thought, “Now, where do you think you’re going, eh? Get back up here!” I readjusted both items and pranced downstairs, into the garage and plopped down in the passenger seat. Rick followed and was promptly seated behind the steering wheel.  I held up my left hand and said “take my ring off.” Rick looked at me, puzzled. He grasped the golden token of his eternal love and slid it off without a trace of resistance to stop him. He let it fall back into place, “Now look at this”, I stated, holding up my right hand, exposing the two bands he had forgotten I’d had. I then demonstrated that I could remove those just as easily & told him it had been 5 years since I wore them last. We sat there, in the garage, in the car, looking at one another. A large smile washed over both our faces, and he put his fist up…and gave me the “knucks.” I am once again, “Lady of the Rings!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment